After some break, I am back at the laser scanner experiments. Today I tried to make a new housing for the laser assembly so that I can place it properly in relationship with the camera. I am planning to create a base platform which has screw holes at known positions so that I can screw the camera and laser housing. That would reduce my initial setup time quite a bit. All this activity was with the intention to increase the accuracy than previous setup.
The turntable which does work btw…
The housing for the laser and optics
I tried to find some interesting items that were available near me, I have to say that the scanning process today was quite fruitful.
This exercise was more to do with the hardware setup - learning the important techniques. As in you need a calibrated setup else hours need to be spent just measuring the distances and angles every time :)
I tried to run the previous algorithms but it was taking too much time for the model 1 as I have taken really dense data. Data was flying around quite a bit (outliers are evident), I need to check the logic again, maybe tomorrow (going to sleep now).